Sunday, October 4, 2009

Delayed Gratification, Oh, and Weekend Gaming Session 10/3

10/3 At a Glance

Currently Playing:
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (Story Playthrough)
Fallout 3 (working on Devil and True Mortal)

Recently Completed:
X-Men Origins: Wolverine (Completed Game #8!)



A shorter gaming session this week, but there's a very good reason. I spent most of my gaming time on Friday and Saturday shopping for the new TV! And this is the deal I found, which, if it pans out, I'll highly recommend: SlickDeals.net:Bravia W. Great set at a great price, plus a free sound system! Awesome! Granted, I can't just take it home and set it up right now like I wanted, but I guess I'll actually act like an adult and delay my gratification. (I've delayed it more than 2 years, whats another 2 weeks?) So, not a lot of gaming this week, but I did finish Wolverine, so let's look at that:


My X-Men Origins: Wolverine Stats


  • Platform: Xbox 360
  • Playthroughs: 2+
  • Gamerscore: 1000/1000
  • I compare it to: God of War
  • Play it again?: Nah.
Since I finished that on Thursday, let's take a look at the weekend gaming I've been doing:



Fallout 3: Ah, more glorious wanderings, destroyed landscapes, and exploding meatbags. I have to admit, I love coming back to Fallout whenever I've been playing other stuff for a while. Right now, all I need to complete the achievements for the game is the Level 30 achievements for evil and neutral (though I'm going to cheat and use Karmic Rebalance at 30 before I save; I don't want to do this grind again anytime soon). And, the Devil acheivement will put me at exactly 15000 gamerscore! (appropriate, I think). However, I'm saving this moment (and playing through Broken Steel in all of it's awesomeness) for when the new TV gets here, which will probably be one or two Weekend Gaming Sessions from now.

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII: FF7 was the first PlayStation game I got after my ex-wife's mother got us a PSX for a wedding present (which made me wonder if she wanted us to fail.....hmmmm:P), and I've got a soft spot in my heart for the story. It's not the best Final Fantasy story (6 takes that, IMO), Cloud is not the best protagonist (though he's less annoying than Zidane, Tidus, and Vaan; on that note, why can't a Kain, Auron, or Basch be in the spotlight for once?) and Sephiroth isn't the best villain (he tried to destroy the world and couldn't, but Kefka DID), but there's just some gestalt phenomenon that makes VII so popular. That said, I'm really enjoying the extended backstory that CC provides. The combat, however, is not making me happy. The commands are cycled with the shoulder buttons during real-time battles, and that works, more or less. What doesn't work for me is basing leveling up, limit breaks, and summons on the ridiculous DMW system, which is essentially a slot machine which leaves all of these important tactical options to chance, albeit with greater or lower odds. I just find that frustrating, and it will be the story that gets me to the end of this game, and I certainly won't be playing to 100%. Thank god there's no trophies.

Anyway, let's hope for fast and efficient shipping, because when the new set gets here, you're all invited to come hang out! I know that pretty much just means you Nat, but still, offers open. :P Game On!

B.

No comments:

Post a Comment